AIP-SPS Undergraduate Education Pandemic Assistance Program
Applications are now closed.
The AIP-SPS Undergraduate Education Pandemic Assistance Program was established by the American Institute of Physics (AIP), the AIP Foundation, and donors of SPS and Sigma Pi Sigma to assist student in completing their education who have been negatively impacted by the pandemic and economic factors thereof. To help support students to continue their education, SPS will provide financial assistance to students in need. While SPS cannot solve the systemic issues that are causing financial distress for physics students, we can provide immediate support to those who are most in need and at risk of not being able to complete their education.
- Up to $1000 may be awarded, to students who need assistance with costs directly related to their education, such as tuition, fees, housing, and books
- Students may receive only one award
- Awarded to currently enrolled undergraduate students, based on:
- funds directly supporting costs associated with education
- need and impact due to covid
- Applicants must be undergraduate members of the SPS National organization. Current NSBP and NSHP members receive free SPS membership through our joint membership programs
- Funds must be used to continue or complete undergradute degrees
- Awardees will be required to submit a completed W-9 federal tax form before dispersal, which will be provided
Applicants must complete an online application. The online system will guide applicants through completing the individual steps of the application process listed below. All pieces of the application must be in by the deadline to be considered for the scholarship.
- Completed general information form
- A student statement not to exceed 250 words indicating:
- How funds will directly support undergraduate education costs
- Level of need and impact due to COVID-19
- Note: Supporting materials can be provided, such as cancelled internship emails or other need/impact illustrating documents. Be specific when possible
- Certification from the Department that the applicant is a current and active student that is in academic good standing
In determining the recipients, the SPS Awards Committee shall consider the following criteria:
- Funds will directly support undergraduate education costs
- Level of financial need
- Impact due to COVID-19
- Exhibition of the potential and intention for continued scholastic development
Details for Awardees
Awardees will be required to submit a completed W-9 federal tax form (or equivalent for international students) before funds are dispersed.
Please address questions related to this award to SPS-Programs [at] aip.org.