Food for Hungry Physics Students
Applications accepted on a rolling basis beginning May 14. Applications will be reviewed regularly beginning in August. Funding is limited.
The Food for Hungry Physics Students program was established by the American Institute of Physics (AIP), the AIP Foundation, and donors of SPS and Sigma Pi Sigma to assist student in completing their education who have been negatively impacted by the pandemic and economic factors thereof. To help alleviate food insecurity concerns for students, the Society of Physics Students will provide $300 in financial support for chapters to start food cabinets for hungry physics students in their departments. Chapters are to use funds for items that are freely accessible to all department undergraduates and are encouraged to fundraise to restock and maintain food cabinet beyond the seed funding. It is our hope this helps to protect students’ and mentors’ physical and mental well-being. Grants are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- $300 in financial support for chapters to start food cabinets for hungry physics students
- Chapters may receive only one award
- Chapters are to use funds for items that are freely accessible to all department undergraduates
- Stocked items can include food and personal items, as needed by students
- Chapters leaders are responsible for monitoring the program for its full duration
- Chapters are encouraged to fundraise to maintain this program beyond the seed funding
- Students and department members are encouraged to restock items, as they are able
- Applicants must be undergraduate members of the SPS National organization. Current NSBP and NSHP members receive free SPS membership through our joint membership programs.
- Applicants are applying on behalf of their chapter
Applicants must complete an online application. The online system will guide applicants through completing the individual steps of the application process listed below. All pieces of the application must be in by the deadline to be considered for the scholarship.
- Completed general information form
- A Primary point of contact for effort
- A letter of intent from the chapter officers which includes:
- Location of food storage, such as a specific cabinet (up to 100 words)
- Items to be stocked in the cabinet (up to 100 words)
- A pledge to restock the cabinet the following semester using local donations
- A letter of support from the chapter adviser or supporting faculty member which acknowledges the effort and their support of the effort
In determining the recipients, the SPS shall consider the following criteria:
- Appropriate location
- Appropriate items to be stocked
- Pledge of support to restock the cabinet the following semester
Details for Awardees
Once implemented, chapters are encouraged to post on social media a picture of the effort with the tag @spsnational and hashtag #foodforhungryphysicsstudents
Please address questions related to this award to SPS-Programs [at] aip.org.