Science Outreach Catalyst Kits, or SOCKs, are free to SPS chapters (while supplies last) and contain an exploratory physics and science activity that is specifically designed for SPS chapters to use in outreach presentations to elementary, middle and high school students. Each SOCK comes with the essential materials to conduct a set of demonstrations, a comprehensive manual, and instructions on how to expand the demonstration to become a tried-and-true outreach activity. It's designed for chapters just starting out or those who are demo pros. SOCKs are designed and implemented annually by the SPS National interns and SPS National office staff.
The 2020-21 SOCK is done in conjunction with the American Acoustical Society (ASA) and explores the physics of... acoustics! This kit will focus on how we can visualize sound in real time, appreciate the sounds that we make as people, and look to examine the soundscapes around us! SOCK users will be able to work with students from elementary school age (5-10) up through high school. See below for more information on the demonstrations and activities included in the SOCK.
Portable Oscilloscope and Microphone: Sound is not visible to the human eye, but have you ever wondered what sound looks like? This demonstration utilizes a portable oscilloscope to visualize sound signals! Here we will measure the electrical signals of a microphone to show people their own voices. https://www.spsnational.org/programs/outreach/portable-oscilloscope-and-microphone
Request an SPS SOCK for Your Chapter
SPS SOCK requests are accepted through an online application form. Please note that you will need to provide:
- Contact information and the SPS membership number for the student project leader.
- Your school and SPS chapter information.
- Responses to the following three prompts:
- Please describe why your group is interested in using the SPS SOCK for outreach.
- Please describe the experience your SPS chapter has with outreach activities.
- Approximately how many national SPS members will be involved in the SOCK outreach event?
- The intended audience, type of event, and anticipated date for which you are considering using the SPS SOCK (if there is more than one, just choose one).
- Your SPS advisor’s name and email address. Your advisor will be asked to confirm his/her support of your proposed SOCK activity.
SPS SOCKs are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis among the eligible requests. Approximately 100 are available each year.